Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sowing the Seeds of Love

The Planted Earth
440 South State Street
Orem, UT 84058

I’ve appreciated all of your comments, including the ones that have come in via email and Facebook, about some of your best and worst V-day presents. I had forgotten about Luge the Gorilla; thanks for reminding me, Mom. The Ten Thousand Villages prize, however, goes to Marie for her great idea cutting out simple hearts and using poems and then delivering them to her girlfriends. I’m going to steal your idea, Marie. One common theme I noticed in many of the comments is that there are too many wonderful women out there who are not being celebrated. So I love the idea of spreading a little love and appreciation to the girlfriends in your life.

Last week, I spotlighted a store that is perfect for free-spirited Valentines whose yoga mats were woven by fair trade artisans, who have their own compost piles, and might even have dreadlocks. (You know, who you are.) This week, I want to spotlight a business for the more traditional Valentine, someone who appreciates a cameo and a silver-backed brush, and loves a good funky vintage find.

As a matter of fact, I first learned about Planted Earth from a friend of mine who sports dreadlocks. Planted Earth is a wonderful antique and floral shop located at 440 South on State street in Orem. I have been a long-time fan of this store. I have a bookshelf, several vintage hats, some vintage mirrored trays, and some unique drawer knobs—all obtained from Planted Earth. And that’s just scratching the surface.


Home décor
Furniture
Fresh flowers
A large selection of vintage jewelry
Antique books
Vintage clothes
Linens
Outdoor furniture
Chandeliers

I like to give unique gifts with special meaning to the recipient, and Planted Earth is one of my go-to’s.

I have two “honorary” nieces. If I could claim them as my daughters, I would. When they turned 10 and 12 years-old, I gave them each a shopping trip with me at a destination of their choice. (There was a price limit involved.) Both picked the Planted Earth. I loved indulging my “Alice in Wonderland/Anne of Green Gables” side as much as they did.

1 comment:

  1. I really didn't explore the Provo/Orem area well enough when I lived there. I'll have to drop by this place next time I'm down south and indulge my own Alice obsession :)

    ReplyDelete